Sector: Energy & Telecommunication Sector
Reports to: Site Manager
Who We Are
Skanstec is a specialist engineering company delivering infrastructural projects within the energy and telecommunications sector. Our expert team is renowned for consistently providing flexible and tailored engineering solutions in a marketplace that sees the convergence between clean energy and connectivity for a smarter, more sustainable society for future generations.
The Skanstec culture is built upon sustainability. A core value in our business is CARE. We care for ourselves, the people we work with, the community, and the environment. We are passionate about sustainability and inspire excellence in our people – we own our words and our commitments. We help our partners and clients achieve their sustainability objectives and goals.
As an E&M Substation Technician at Skanstec you will play a vital role in the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair, and refurbishment of HV, MV and LV systems in substations. You will make part of a team that will be responsible for ensuring the safe and reliable operation of electrical infrastructures both in new builds as in live substations.
- Education: Leving cert or equivalent. Associate degree or technical certification in electrical engineering or a related field is preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years of experience as Substation Technician or a related role in the electrical field.
- Electrical Knowledge: Strong understanding of Low, Medium or High Voltage systems, substation equipment, and electrical components.
- Certifications: Relevant certifications such as Safe Pass, Manual Handling, MEWP, Abrasive Wheels, etc are a plus
- Safety: A commitment to safety and knowledge of electrical safety practices
- Ability to prioritise and work well under pressure
- Manage workload effectively
- Results orientated
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Fluency in English both spoken and written is required.
- Full driver’s license essential
Main Job Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- Construction: Assembly of all related LV, MV and HV apparatus; control cabinets installation; AC and DC Systems installation; LV power and control cable laying, glanding and terminations; MV and HV equipment’s’ steelwork installation; MV & HV Busbar installation; cable containment installation, etc.
- Maintenance and Inspection: Conduct regular inspections and preventive maintenance of low voltage systems and substations to identify and address potential issues.
- Troubleshooting: Diagnose and troubleshoot electrical problems, including issues with transformers, circuit breakers, relays, and control systems.
- Repairs: Perform repairs and replacement of faulty components and equipment in accordance with safety and industry standards.
- Testing: Conduct testing and calibration of protective relays, voltage regulators, and other substation equipment.
- Safety: Adhere to strict safety protocols and ensure that all work is performed in compliance with safety regulations.
- Documentation: Maintain accurate records of maintenance activities, test results, and equipment condition.
- Emergency Response: Respond promptly to emergency calls and power outages, participating in outage restoration efforts as needed.
- Technical Support: Provide technical support and assistance to other team members and clients as required.
What’s in it for you
- Mentoring and Professional Development support
- Employee Assistance Program
- Attractive salary
- Opportunities for career advancement and training support
- A positive and inclusive work environment
Please apply using link supplied or send CV to email@example.com